Inside SCI-Arc

Financial Aid

FASFA School Code 014073
Apply for Aid Application Process
Prospective Students Award Offers
The Basics Receiving Your Funds

The Basics

The costs you and your family will incur to attend SCI-Arc includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, and living expenses. The amount of living expenses will vary depending on your living arrangement: Living at home (Commuter) or Living in an off-campus apartment or house.

For more information about costs, types of aid, and eligibility, please use the menu below:

Types of Aid


Tuition and fees consist of the basic registration fee and other University activity and facility fees. The amount a student must pay is based on the following:
  • Undergraduate or Graduate standing
  • Number of units attempting (0-6 units is a reduced fee)
What are the average student expenses?
Average student expenses vary depending on living arrangements.

You can use the College Board Net Price Calculator online tool to determine your eligibility for financial aid and estimate your out-of-pocket expenses. For more information about SCI-Arc costs, please review the Cost of Attendance section of our website.

What payment options are available?
Fees must be paid prior to registration.

Back To Top

Types of Aid

Scholarships are private funds that do not have to be repaid. Scholarships can come from a variety of sources — community groups, corporate donors, or the Institute; each with its own requirements and application process. They are an excellent resource for students seeking help with the cost of their education, and can help reduce the dependence on loans to cover educational costs. Students are encouraged to search and apply for as many scholarships as possible.

If you are an incoming freshman, be sure to check with your high school counselor as she/he may know of scholarship opportunities. If you are a current/continuing student at SCI-Arc, you will receive an email from the Academic Counselor stating the deadlines and applications you must submit.

Federal Grants
There are two types of federal student aid grants and one specialized grant/loan combination. All grants are awarded according to financial need, as determined by the federal formula that calculates your expected family contribution (EFC) from the information you submitted on the FAFSA. Students who are eligible for federal student aid have their eligibility for federal grants evaluated after completing the FAFSA.

State Grants
There are grant programs available for California residents only. Residency status is determined by the Office of Admissions at the time of your application. By filing your financial aid application (either the FAFSA – for FAFSA-eligible students, or the California DREAM Act Application – for Dream Act-eligible students) by the priority deadline of March 2, eligible students may be considered for one of the state grants.

Student Employment
Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that provides employment opportunities to students with the highest financial need. Institutional Work-Study is institutionally funded and provides employment to International students with the highest financial need. Placement is limited.

Federal Loans
Loans are funds that you must repay. The Federal Loan programs offer a secure, government-regulated and reasonably affordable way to invest in yourself and your goal of a higher education. Types of loans include Direct Stafford Loans, and PLUS Loans (for Graduate Students or Parents of Dependent Undergraduate Students).

Private Loans
Private Education Loans, also known as Alternative Loans, are credit-based loans that can help bridge the gap between the actual cost of your education and the amount of your other financial aid funds. Private loans are offered by private lenders and should only be considered after exhausting all other sources of funding – including federal loans.

Back To Top


General Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for federal financial aid you must:
  • Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. with a valid Social Security Number.
  • Have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student who will be working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • If male, be registered for the Selective Service.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid.
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal grant or be in default on a federal educational loan.
  • Demonstrate financial need except for the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and PLUS Loan.
  • Be enrolled at University Census in a minimum of half-time units for state aid, federal loans and Work-Study
  • Reapply for aid each year
  • A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student from receiving financial aid
If you do not meet the above criteria for federal financial aid, there are alternative loan programs and scholarships for which they may qualify.

Citizenship Requirements
To be eligible for federal financial aid you must be one of the following:

  • U. S. citizen
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C Alien Registration Receipt Card

You must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
You are NOT eligible for federal financial aid if you:
  • Have an Employment Authorization Card/Document (Form I-688A, I-688B, or I-766) or a Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688)
  • Have an Approval Form I-797, "Application for Voluntary Departure Under the Family Unity Program"
  • Have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464)
  • Are in the U. S. on an F1 or F2 student visa only
  • Are in the U.S. on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only
  • Have a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations)

Social Security Number Requirement
You must have a valid Social Security Number to apply for and receive federal financial aid.

Please note: A student who is a resident of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of Palau is not required to provide a Social Security Number when completing the FAFSA; he/she will receive a special identifying number in lieu of a Social Security Number. In order to apply for Federal Student Aid (Pell Grant, SEOG, or Work Study), a student from one of these regions will need to complete a paper version of the FAFSA and send it to the following address:

Federal Student Aid Programs
P.O. Box 7001
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864-0071

Drug Convictions and Financial Aid Eligibility
Under the Higher Education Act, you may become ineligible for federal student aid upon conviction of any offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving Title IV federal financial aid. Federal aid includes Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal ACG Grants, and Federal Work Study.

Penalties for Drug Convictions Possession of Illegal Drugs

  • First Offense: Ineligible to receive aid for 1 year from the date of conviction
  • Second Offense: Ineligible to receive aid for 2 years from the date of conviction
  • Third and Subsequent Offenses: Indefinite ineligibility from the date of conviction

Sale of Illegal Drugs

  • First Offense: Ineligible to receive aid for 2 years from the date of conviction
  • Second and Subsequent Offenses: Indefinite ineligibility from the date of conviction

How to Regain Eligibility
You can regain eligibility for federal student aid funds by successfully completing a drug rehabilitation program. To be sufficient to reinstate financial aid eligibility, the program must:

  • include at least 2 unannounced drug tests
  • be recognized as a Federal, State, or local government agency program
You will regain eligibility on the date of successfully completing the program.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Question 23 on the FAFSA form asks if you have ever been convicted of a drug related offense. Failure to answer this question will automatically disqualify you from receiving Federal aid. Falsely answering this question, if discovered, could result in fines up to $20,000, imprisonment, or both.

Convictions During Enrollment
According to the United States Department of Education, if you are convicted of a drug offense after receiving Federal aid, you must notify the Financial Aid Department immediately and you will be ineligible for further aid and required to pay back all aid received after the conviction.

Back To Top

Click below to download the SCI-Arc Viewbook

Contact us at 213.356.5320, or Request Information.

Also find us on: