Under the Youth Academic Outreach initiative, POP-Arc is a one- to two-day workshop that introduces high school students to architectural thinking and design methods, and offers them an opportunity to explore careers in architecture and design. The curriculum challenges students to think critically about formal decisions, take risks, and have fun. Students need no prior background in architecture or design to participate.
These workshops are intended to encourage students to investigate the relationship between creative thinking and making, explore three-dimensional relationships, and build a vocabulary around form and space that challenges typical notions of architecture. Students will be exposed to hands-on model making as well as SCI-Arc’s fabrication labs, including the Robot House. POP-Arc is facilitated by SCI-Arc Design faculty. Current SCI-Arc students engage as peers with participating POP-Arc students, sharing their individual experiences with applying to architecture school and becoming architecture students.
POP-Arc workshops are held both on-site at SCI-Arc’s campus as well as at partner locations – both domestically and abroad. When at SCI-Arc, students are immersed in the culture of an architecture school, allowing them to get a better sense of what architectural education is like. The schedule and location of each workshop will be tailored to best fit the availability and number of students participating.
Local POP-Arc workshops are part of SCI-Arc’s growing outreach efforts to attract and engage LA’s diverse youth population across the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), inspire curiosity about the world of architecture and design, as well as familiarize students with the academic environment at SCI-Arc.
The Youth Academic Outreach initiative at SCI-Arc is dedicated to building connections with high school students both locally and internationally by providing program opportunities which expose youth to design tools and architectural thinking.
Our Youth Academic Outreach Program is continuously seeking to grow future collaborations and partnerships for POP-Arc and beyond. Past institutional partners which have hosted POP-Arc workshops include Inner-City Arts, The Institute of Contemporary Art, and many more. Please contact us if you are interested in becoming an institutional partner for future programs and workshops.
Participating High Schools:
- Ramon C. Cortines School of Visual and Performing Arts
- San Marino High School, Huntington Beach
- Jordan High School, Long Beach
- Van Nuys High School
- Boyle Heights High School
- Culver City High School
- Belmont High School
- LAUSD Arts Branch
- Inner City Arts
- IEA | Institute for Educational Advancement
- ICA LA | Institute for Contemporary Art LA
- Community Works | Creativity Summit
- NOMA | National Organization of Minority Architects
- ACE Mentor Los Angeles/Orange Counties
Pop-Arc On-Site | SCI-Arc
- High School students come to SCI-Arc and work on site using our fabrication lab such as the Robot House and the Magic Box.
POP-Arcs LA: 123 MAKE! | IEA
- “1,2,3 MAKE!” is a 2 weeks design workshop for high school age students interested in digital design and fabrication. In addition, students are given a portfolio workshop. The workshop is open to high school students that have already taken the Design Immersion Days program (DID. The work produced can contribute to students’ developing college portfolio.
- This workshop is done in partnership with the Institute for Educational Advancement (IEA). The workshop will also be open to students participating in their Explore mentorship program.
POP-Arc LA - ZOOM | Inner City Arts
- A partnership with Inner City-Arts – students experience both campuses exposing them to various materials and techniques of working. Taught by a SCI-Arc Faculty, students explore techniques of making thru hands-on physical models, drawings as well as our digital lab.
POP-Arc LA – You Are Here | The ICA LA
- A collaboration with an art museum- students are exposed to both art and architecture making connections conceptually while working on a hands-on project.
POP-Arc Vancouver | Young Guns Studio
- A one-week workshop at the Young Guns Studio in Vancouver taught by SCI-Arc Faculty. Students explore various techniques and methodologies. The work produced can contribute to students’ developing college portfolio.