Department: Director’s Office
Reports to: Director, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Community Engagement Coordinator
Department: Director’s Office
The newly established Community Engagement Coordinator position will guide SCI-Arc in upholding the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion in partnership with our local communities. Working directly with the SCI-Arc Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the Community Engagement Coordinator will develop, coordinate, and implement short-term and long-term strategic community partnerships for the school. This may include creating new community initiatives, working with SCI-Arc faculty and staff to enhance current programs and partnerships, and implementing best practices that support SCI-Arc’s commitment to increased access and belonging for groups that have historically been excluded in the field architecture (i.e. individuals who are Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian/Asian American and Pacific Islander, multiracial; LGBTQ+; women; veterans, and individuals with disabilities).
SCI-Arc is a standalone architecture school in downtown Los Angeles whose student population is 60% international. Our narrow education focus ties us directly to the culture and values of the field of architecture while our international student population represents over 50 countries’ values in undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate programs. Our students, faculty, and staff’s common value is towards the development of new directions in architectural thinking.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Community Partnership Development (75%)
- Collaborates with local organizations and community leaders to create sustainable co-curricular opportunities focused on innovative architectural and design solutions to challenges facing Los Angeles neighborhoods and communities (i.e. affordable housing, gentrification, climate change, public health, etc.).
- Works with faculty, staff, and community leaders create, manage, expand, and coordinate community programs and events in support of co-curricular experiences and institutional priorities.
- Coordinates transportation to community sites for regular visits and check-ins with stakeholders.
- Develops a community engagement plan aligned with the SCI-Arc strategic plan.
- Creates surveys and works with institutional data for annual reports on program progress and impact.
- Partners with SCI-Arc staff in the Office of Development to identify and develop relationships with community-based organizations to create and support fundraising opportunities.
- Serves on the Committee for Equity & Inclusion and Community Engagement Committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Partners with SCI-Arc Admissions staff and faculty on student recruitment programs, pipeline development, recruitment materials, and scholarship opportunities to increase the representation of underrepresented architects.
- Utilizes institutional data to create annual reports program progress and impact.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly recommended.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience and strong knowledge in community engagement, fundraising strategic initiatives, or social justice. Experience working in a creative environment is a plus.
- Ability to collaborate and work successfully with community leaders, teachers, families, staff and faculty members, as well as with students.
- Demonstrated experience working with underrepresented communities and commitment to diversity measures.
- Ideal candidate is a flexible, goal-oriented communicator who thrives on meeting new people and being on the move (or actively engaging community partners).
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Excellent initiative, time management, leadership, and administrative skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for effective report writing, policy development, creation of educational material such as brochures and fliers, and public speaking for presentations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other MS Office Suite programs for data analysis for annual reporting.